Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Exploring Gyeongbokgung Palace


"Gyeongbokgung (Hangul: 경복궁; Hanja: 景福宮), also known as Gyeongbokgung Palace or Gyeongbok Palace, was the main royal palace of the Joseon dynasty. Built in 1395, it is located in northern SeoulSouth Korea. The largest of the Five Grand Palaces built by the Joseon dynasty, Gyeongbokgung served as the home of Kings of the Joseon dynasty, the Kings' households, as well as the government of Joseon." (Wikipedia)

Many dramas are partly filmed in Gyeongbokgung (Gyeongbok Palace), the biggest and most important royal residence during the Joseon Dynasty. In fact, the palace is closed every Tuesday, partly for maintenance reasons but also to facilitate filming.


Princess Hours, The Moon Embracing The Sun, The Rooftop Prince, Jewel in the Palace, and  Empress Ki are some of the few that popularized more this place.


So today, let me share my thoughts and experience inside this mystical land. Please join me in my travel back in time.


Winter indeed makes everything dry and dying but there is something magical about it. Yes, everything is still breath-taking!!!

Hwangwonjeong Pavilion... This Pavilion was built in an artificial island, Hwangwonji (Pavilion of Far-Reaching Fragrance) with a bridge, Chwihyanggo (Bridge Intoxicated with Flowers) connecting it to other parts of the palace. The pond is filled with lotus and rich in aquatic life (fishes).

 

That is me, trying to review my selfies while we take turn for our solo pictures lol.




I don't really like historical pieces that much but this place captured my heart. Oh wells, maybe because I am a hallyu fan that's why I am bias but honestly everything is just regal and postcard worthy.  I highly recommend you check out this place when you visit South Korea.



As you can see, we scheduled our trip on early winter so every leaves have almost fallen and ready to be covered by snow. Luckily though I get to taste a bit of autumn.


There were few trees that haven't dried out completely and I feel like a kid to see some and appreciate their changing colors in red and brown.


A cadid shot of me and Say while I playfully reach for the fruits hahaha.


The colors amidst the dying garden just give me the chills of excitement. Ooopps, I live in the tropics, so autumn is simply new scene to my eyes hehehe (we only have summer and rainy days).




I just love my happy self and this last autumn tree (as my friends teased lol).


Thank you sweet Maple tree for staying healthy coz I get to have my mandatory picture under your warm red beauty!!!


Next that caught my attention are the vast walls.  Yes, even the walls deserve a pose hahaha. Please excuse my moment... I can't just help to have my ootd moment wahahaha. (Wearing: jeans from Forever 21, all terrain boots from Landrover, winter-bomber from Baleno, a kpop-inspired romper, mufler from H&M and aviators from Mango)


This palace is just marvelously constructed. I can just imagine how the royalties have enjoyed their life in every corner of this creation.


I'm glad it was included in our itenerary. No regrets, just plainly happy memories!!!


Also, within the vicinity is the National Palace Museum Of Korea. It houses 40,000 artifacts and royal treasures from the palaces of the Joseon Dynasty and the Korean empire.


After our almost half day of exploring the palace, we had some expensive coffee at the resto (5000 won lol) inside just beside the museum (sorry I forgot the name) before heading to the Hanok Village, Bukchon.

So I guess, till  here again... annyeong!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment