Sunday, February 3, 2013

Review: Holika Holika Medi-Medi Acetyl Pack AC Clearing Wash-Off Mask

Happy Sunday everyone!!!

My friends and those who visit this blog knew that I am no exemption when it comes to skin turmoil or should I say misfortune.  I had been battling mild stage of acne since my puberty years so it has always been my obsession to search for something that will keep my skin stable.  Well,  my case had always been hormonal related and it has never got me worried.  On stressful days or during "Aunt Flow" visits, I usually get 2-3 bumps and would go away on their own within few days.  However, last November though, stubborn zits started to appear and flock on my left jaw line which got me flustered.

So, my frustration led me to purchase this wash-off mask from Holika Holika which I'll be sharing today.
Product Description
Holika Holika Medi-Medi Acetyl Pack (AC Clearing Wash-Off Mask) is formulated with 3000ppm of Salicylic Acid and Eucalyptus to clean and soothe skin while clearing and reducing skin irritation and blemishes.

Variants
  1. Acetyl Pack (AC Clearing Wash-Off Mask) - new packaging (AC Clarifying Wash-Off Mask)
  2. Magnesium Pack (Pore Cleaning Wash-Off Mask)
  3. VitaC Pact (Skin Brightening Wash-Off Mask)
Content: 70 ml
Availability:  not available locally but you can pre-order it online
Price: around PhP500.00
This mask is also popularly known in Korea as the aspirin mask in a box because of its contents which are:
  • AcetylSalicylic Acid - commonly known as ASPIRIN (acetyl derivative of Salicylic Acid) used as an analgesic anti-inflammatory drug.  It is known to reduce pain, swelling and inflammations
  • Salicylic Acid - It is popularly used to help clear and prevent pimples and other skin conditions
Source: (E-HOW)  I'd like to tell that I'm no expert on the chemical field so I have checked the difference of the two contents and cited in the simplest way. 
How to use:
  1. Wash the face
  2. Use favorite toner
  3. Apply mask all over the face (except the eyes and lips area) and neck and leave it till dry for 10 to 15 minutes.
  4. Wash off the mask
  5. Moisturize 
  6. Use 1 to 2 times a week only
Packaging wise,  the wash-off mask is housed in a plastic jar with pretty pink lid.  Well,  Holika Holika always try to put a touch of youthfulness even in their simplest packages.
The bottom part has the manufacture date.
Aside from the pink lid, it also has a separate plastic lid to cover the mask itself.  Well,  this is something conventional in all jar-type skincare.  It is an added protection to keep the content from spilling.  Sadly, this doesn't have a free spatula.  So I have to purchase a disposable baby spoon to help me scoop out the mask.  You can use the fingers though but I find that unhygienic.
As for the scent, it does have a strong medicated whiff with a faint hint of eucalyptus. Don't worry though the strength goes away after few seconds you have applied it.  The eucalyptus content also gives a refreshing and cooling sensation which calms and soothes the red pustules.
As seen on the picture below,  the mask has a super light pink tint.  Hehehe it also shows i'm more than half way on the product.
As for the consistency,  it feels very creamy, rich and thick.  The velvety texture allows easiness of application all over the face.  It does not dry out that easily so you can have all the time spreading it.
Since this is a mask, just allow a generous amount to cover your skin =).  I like to keep my mask as thick as my swatch below.
Frozen Blossoms' experience:
I usually use this mask twice a week on my scheduled rest days and on Sundays since I got it.  Since this mask has a 3000 ppm (3%) of Salicylic Acid I find it kinda drying right after you rinse it off so it is a must to moisturize after.  Well, in all fairness to this mask, it made a good job drying out the present zits on my forehead  and been doing great in preventing zits on my t-zone and cheek area plus it does a great job minimizing and refining my pores.  Unfortunately, this mask seems to fall short of reach for my zit infested areas--jaw line, neck and chin.  Every other part of my face started to clear out but my jaw area got me so frustrated as to some zits would dry out and then another 2 - 3 would come out.  

Frozen Blossoms' thoughts:
I'm kinda depressed coz my skin is still pretty bad no matter how hard I tried to keep it clear.  I'll have to keep you updated once they dry out completely and everything becomes normal.  If you ask me if i'll have to repurchase this mask,  I guess I'll have to consume it first and try other variants or lines.

So that's it for today.  Happy weekend ladies.

12 comments:

  1. Sometimes zits on the jawline are an indication of hormonal problems, perhaps you should check at your GP :) Or they may be a common manifestation of acne - as we grow older it moves away from the T-zone onto the jawline... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eli :). I hope they clear up soon.

      Delete
  2. I think I want to buy this just for those days when I'm breaking out a little!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to try this product because my skin is oily and is really hard to unproducto drying out my skin. Normally the mattes. But thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for droppin by, yes sus this is great for oily skin. :)

      Delete
  4. I really hate my chin because all the painful pimples are there :((

    This one seems like an average mask~ thanks for review~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I get pimples those days as well, they are really annoying, I use some eucerin products as well as lush fresh mask called 'cosmetic warrior' they together helps! Hehehe :)
    Big hug <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sis, thanks for the advise ill try the eucerin asap :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice review :) i've been trying to decide which of the 3 packs to purchase, and have decided on this one because i like products with Salicylic Acid in. I might purchase the magnesium one too and alternate them each week :)

    http://kittiecosmetics.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete